The US Supreme Court on Friday temporarily allowed the Trump administration to continue construction of a White House ballroom, pausing a lower court order that had halted much of the project.
In a one-page order, Chief Justice John Roberts said the preliminary injunction issued on April 16 by the US District Court for the District of Columbia would be “stayed pending further order” from either the chief justice or the full Supreme Court.
The stay does not resolve the underlying legal dispute, but allows construction to move forward for now.
President Donald Trump said he is “grateful for the Decision of the United States Supreme Court.”
“The Military/Ballroom Complex being built on the hallowed grounds of the White House, which is so vital for National Security, will be THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.
“It is something that Presidents have wanted for 150 years, and that the Military has been seeking for the last 100 years. Their wish will soon be fulfilled! Construction is under budget and ahead of schedule,” he added.
Last year, Trump announced the construction of a 90,000-square-foot (8,361-square-meter) ballroom, which is estimated to cost $400 million.
A DC appeals court earlier ruled that the ballroom project requires congressional approval.
A week ago, the Trump administration asked the Supreme Court to clear the way for construction to continue, accusing lower courts of overstepping their authority and arguing that the project is necessary for national security.
