Shah J. Choudhury
New York— August 26, 2025 : Community members and advocates are renewing demands for a full redesign of McGuinness Boulevard after bribery allegations surfaced involving top allies of Mayor Eric Adams.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) had originally proposed a major “road diet” in 2023 that would have reduced the boulevard from four vehicle lanes to two, while adding protected bike lanes and expanded pedestrian space. But within months, the plan was scrapped and replaced with a scaled-back version after pressure from political insiders and powerful business interests.
According to the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, Broadway Stages owners Gina and Tony Argento allegedly bribed senior Adams aide Ingrid Lewis-Martin with perks including free catering, clothing, and even a television role. Prosecutors say the goal was to derail the safety plan and protect the Argentos’ business interests along the boulevard.
Local advocacy group Make McGuinness Safe has called the revelations “outrageous” and demanded the city immediately reinstate the original full redesign. “We want every block to be safe. Now is the time,” said group leader Bronwyn Breitner.
Democratic mayoral candidate Zohran Mamdani echoed the call, saying, “The promise made to this community was stolen from us — and we are here to take it back.”
Mayor Adams, however, defended the compromise redesign, calling it “a win” because it reflected concessions from both sides. “McGuinness was a victory for everyone — a solution where each side gave a little,” Adams said last week.
For Greenpoint residents, the fight is far from over. With the corruption scandal now public, advocates insist the city owes the community the full, safe redesign it was promised.