Reuters: NATO military leaders are expected to meet on Wednesday to discuss Ukraine and the way forward, US and NATO officials said on Tuesday, as Washington and European capitals work out details of what security guarantees might look like for Kyiv.
Ukraine and its European allies have been buoyed by US President Donald Trump’s promise during a summit on Monday of security guarantees to help end the war, but many questions remain unanswered.
As military planners started work on options, Trump ruled out sending US troops into Ukraine but suggested Washington could provide some type of air support.
US Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich, who also oversees all NATO operations in Europe, will brief the chiefs of defense on results of the Alaska meeting between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin last week.
Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, chairman of NATO’s military committee, said there would be a video conference on Wednesday.
“As diplomatic efforts to secure peace in #Ukraine progress, looking forward to (Grynkewich’s) update on the current security environment,” Dragone said on X.
Officials pointed out that the meeting was taking place during unique circumstances and expected topics such as the security guarantee to be discussed.
Reuters was first to report the meeting.
A US official speaking on condition of anonymity said US General Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was expected to attend the meeting, but plans could change.
The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The British government said what is known as the Coalition of the Willing, which met virtually on Tuesday, had agreed that their planning teams would meet with US counterparts in the coming days to advance plans for security guarantees for Ukraine.
